School of Population Health

Independent Studies

Independent studies are designed to provide opportunities for candidates to pursue interests and areas of study not addressed in existing courses. They are recommended particularly for candidates who wish to explore specific health or education related problems within their own discipline or area. Students wishing to enrol in an independent study must obtain approval from their program director.

How to enrol in an Independent Study

  1. The course load should be commensurate with that of a 6 unit of credit elective course.
  2. A supervisor with whom you must regularly correspond for a certain period of time on a weekly / fortnightly basis must be appointed. It is up to you to initiate action in this regard, by negotiating with one of the academic staff of the School.
  3. Before you can be enrolled in an Independent Study you will need to complete an 'Application to undertake an Independent Study' form and have it approved by your supervisor. The proposal should include details of your topic, methods, assessment, duration (Term 1, Term 2 or Term 3).  Please return to the completed form to the School Postgraduate Coursework Office for enrolment by Monday of O Week of the relevant term. 
  4. You should negotiate with your supervisor and agree in advance on the scope of the work, requirements for submission and how you will be assessed.